Beemer Makes it to Bean Town

If you would have told me 7 months ago I would be sitting in Boston the first week of June after riding a BMW motorcycle around the country for 38 days I would have told you that you’re nuts. I certainly never in my wildest dreams ever imagined I would have a few hundred followers watching me do it on social media and online either. I guess we don’t ever really know what the future holds for us either or even the next day. I am for sure a bit out of my element here. It’s not a bad thing. Experiencing things that are different has become a huge part of this journey. Different places to see, different people to meet, different cultures and experiencing the different ways in which people live has been very gratifying indeed.

Boston is a very interesting city. Very rich in history. Very culturally diverse and a very busy place. I managed the ride up here this past Wednesday from a little town in Rhode Island pretty easily. As you get closer and closer to the city the traffic builds. You hold your place and your lane and do what you do best and get through the massive amounts of folks, busy to get from one place to another. At times you see someone do something really stupid, like cut another driver off, run red lights and my favorite and most disturbing using their phone and texting while driving. Yes, I pretty much have seen all that and more from the seat of my Beemer. I shake my head and even mutter the words “dumb ass” a few times while doing my best to get through it all. I made it of course and without issue. I parked in front of my son and daughter in-laws apartment building. I was lucky to have found one so close to the front door. I went in the building where I met a young man named Michael who was the concierge and he said he was expecting my arrival. He allowed me entrance to the apartment since both Forest and Nikki were at work. The first thing I needed to do was wash clothes. While the clothes were washing I went back downstairs to the bike and Michael informed me that it was street sweeping day and I got very lucky as I was parked illegally on and did not get ticketed or towed as the street sweeper passed. Yes this happens all the time, just ask Forest. He now wants Ridin On with Rare cancer signs for his car. I finished the wash and Forest and Nikki came home. We visited for a bit then it was time to drive to Logan Airport where we were picking up my wife Chris, who I had not seen in 38 days. I put the bike in a parking garage since I would not be using it for a few days. I had not ridden in a car since I left home either and that felt kind of strange too but I was sure excited to see my wife!

Forest does an awesome job driving in traffic around Boston. The narrow streets and people bustling everywhere is a sight to see for sure. We picked Chris up and Forest and Nikki took us to a hotel where a generous benefactor provided us a room for 3 nights. WOW, what a place! It’s called the Liberty Hotel and a large section of it used to be a local prison. This place is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed. Now I feel really out of my element but am certainly enjoying it very much. They had messed the reservation up a bit and did not have the room that was requested, so for Wednesday night they made it a complementary stay the first night in a different room and even gave us a voucher for breakfast the next morning to make up for the error. Talk about over the top service, wow. When we got to the room we noticed it is completely stocked with beverages and snacks but you better be careful, that Snickers bar looks mighty good but for $10, I think I’ll pass.

Thursday Chris and I had our breakfast and saw a few sights around downtown. We took in the Tea Party museum and stopped to see where Forest spends his day which was nice. We took in lunch at the oldest continually operating restaurant in the country. The Union Oyster House has been operating since 1826. Awesome crab cakes and clam chowder! We saw a few more sights in downtown and I even downloaded the Lyft app on my phone, which taking an Uber or Lyft was a first for both of us. Call us old I know!. We made our way back to the hotel where they moved us to the 10th floor with an amazing view of the city. Forest and Nikki joined us for the evening later. We are within walking distance of the Beacon Hill area and it is filled with little restaurants and shops. Very cool indeed.

Today and the weekend will be more of the same I’m sure. Fun times with my wife and family and a much needed break from riding a motorcycle around the country. I have never taken a vacation from taking a vacation, another first for me. Monday morning I will head for Maine and get back to what the journey was intended to do, raising awareness to rare cancer. It’s very nice indeed to have this opportunity to spend time with loved ones and see sights I would never be able to do. I am so thankful. I am so blessed to be given this opportunity in life to enjoy some simple pleasures. You too need to take time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Don’t get caught up in the mundane. If you’ve been given the opportunity to live, then live it to the fullest. Don’t let the days bad news dictate what your life will be like today and especially if your a cancer survivor or a cancer warrior don’t let the mental aspects of the disease kill you before the disease does. This continues to be an awesome adventure in my life. There is something special in your life that’s awaiting you too. Go out and find it and Ride On if you can.